- Founded in 1995 in Orlando, Florida, by Ted Black and Sean Hägen, BlackHägen (BH) Design is a user research, product development consulting firm supporting medical device, consumer, and industrial product development manufacturers. Shortly thereafter, Sean incorporated BH as a separate entity and sole owner.
- In 2002, Philip Remedios joined the company as partner. His executive and medical device design development expertise hails from a leading full-service product development firm in California.
- In 2005, the firm relocated to the picturesque, seaside town of Dunedin on the north-western edge of the Tampa Bay metro area. In its current location, the studio enjoys the benefits of being strategically positioned in Central Florida’s rapidly developing High-Tech Corridor and Tampa’s diverse international community, while enjoying a tropical, coastal lifestyle.
- Today, with over 100 patents and trade secrets to its credit, BH offers strategic and tactical services in user research, competitive benchmarking, human-factors auditing, and business model qualification.
- To address the increased need to design and manufacture easy to use, safe, cost effective, and innovative products in competitive global markets, BH is well positioned to support our clients in product definition, design, and outsourced manufacturing.
- To support long-term partnerships with start-up entities and market leaders alike, BH is inspired to assist their realization of profitability and market share growth through intelligent, highly collaborative project management.
- To continue to evolve our robust and highly effective contextual inquiry research methodology based on defining actionable user-need requirements and use-error mitigation strategies.
- To continue to yield significant product and process innovations for our clients using qualitative and quantitative analysis, generative and evaluative methods.
- To achieve sustainable growth, we have established a vision with clear goals.
- Profit: Maximizing profitability while setting the standard for quality and recognizing our overall responsibilities to staff and clients.
- People: Be a great place to work where people are inspired to be the best they can be.
- Portfolio: Bring to the world a portfolio of highly efficient, cost-effective, relevant products that anticipate and satisfy people's needs and desires.
- Partners: Cultivate and support a winning network of industry resources and client partners building on mutual respect and loyalty.
- Environment: Be a responsible global citizen that makes a difference in designing sustainable, environmentally friendly products.