Over 30 years of research and product development in a variety of industries ranging from marine transportation to medical devices.
Bachelor of Science in Product Design from The Ohio State University’s Industrial Design program, with an emphasis on human factors and design research.
Management of user research and synthesis phases of product development, including:
• Usability studies
• User-centric innovation techniques
• Establishing optimal user requirements for product definition
User-centric innovation techniques
Establishing optimal user requirements for product definition
Primary investigator and analyst in international contextual inquiry and user evaluations research projects for institutional and home environments.
Speaker at universities (Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, University of South Florida, University of Minnesota) and conferences (MD&M, IDSA, DMD, Q1,).
The Human Factors Engineering (HE) committee for the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI); the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES); Industrial Design Society of America (IDSA).
• Published articles in several publications (e.g., Medical Device and Medical Device & Diagnostics Industry)
• Editor and reviewer of the ANSI/AAMI HE75:2009 usability guidance standard, Contributing author and editor for the 2nd edition of HE75
• Contributor to AAMI revision of IEC/ISO 62366-1 Addendum
• Contributing author to AAMI Technical Report on Post Market Surveillance of Use Error: TIR50 and Integrating Human Factors into Design Controls: AAMI TIR59
• Industry advisory board, Medical Device Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program at the University of Cincinnati;
• Curriculum steering committee for the industrial design program at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale.
• Curriculum steering advisor for the M.S. in Population Health and Design course of modules at New York Institute of Technology.
The International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA); the Medical Device Excellence Awards (MDEA); International Plastics Design Competition.
Medical Section Chair of the IDSA 2001-2019. Board of Directors, Vice President of Special Interest Sections, IDSA, 2017-2019. Founding Chair of the IDSA Medical Design Conference 2016, Medical Design Conference Co-Chair, 2017, 2019. Chair of the IDSA Patient Safety Taskforce.